Sunday, 16 June 2013

House cushion in one crafternoon

After shrinking yet another cardigan, I decided to actually turn it into something rather than store it in the cupboard of things that could be useful at some point! From one very dodgy little sketch came a cute little cushion (even if I do say so myself). And the best bit was that it was started and finished in just a few hours whilst little man was round at his grandparents.

1 dodgy sketch + 1 boil washed cardigan = 1 gorgeous cushion


After cutting out the sleeves of the cardigan, I pressed all of the material, cut out a rough house shape and started to cut and pin felt shapes. I did all of this by eye rather than exact measurements. Once the shapes were pinned, I sewed everything on with embroidery threads, using blanket stitch for the roof and chain stitch for the windows and door. I pinned the finished front to some lovely bright yellow vintage fabric right sides facing and cut a matching back, which were then sewed together with a 1.5cm seam allowance. I left a small opening at the bottom edge to turn out as well as for the stuffing and slip stitched this closed. More than anything, I am really pleased with the colours of this.









No comments: