Sunday, 22 September 2013

My new winter coat!

I have been busy again! This time I have been making a new winter coat! I have had this pattern forever. It was in my mums sewing box, but now it is in mine and I've always liked the look of it. It is designed to use a reversible fabric or a shearling, as all seams are exposed. I found this 100% wool double sided fabric for a bargainous £5.99p/m and decided to give it a go. I only bought 2.5 metres, which was a little scrimpy, but I managed to get my coat out of it.

 I made a few very minor alterations to the pattern, by making it shorter than the longest length, so it falls just at my knees and also adding toggle fastenings rather than a belt

I have used patent leather for the fastenings to contrast with the flatness of the black wool and horn buttons. I only placed 2 on the coat, but may need to make a third a bit lower down.

I decided on a contrast orange binding for all hems. This is a neater finish than I would have got if I tried to turn under and machine and adds a nice point of interest. It also co-ordinates nicely with my swish new orange leather bag!

Some interior shots to show the construction. It was a bit of a chore to sew as the double sided fabric is so thick and I constructed it using lap and fell seams, which my poor little domestic machine struggled with immensely. The machine stitching looked worse on the inside, which was highlighted by the use of black thread against cream fabric, so I decided to cover all seams with brown cotton tape. This hasn't made for a perfect finish, but is a vast improvement.

 You can see that this fabric is a dodgy dye batch (hence the amazing price), but I don't mind. Overall I am so pleased with how this turned out and it is so warm and cosy. It's like wearing a blanket and you can wear nice thick jumpers with it when it's really cold out. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with myself and it cost less than £25 to make! In fact the leather and the buttons were the most expensive components!

Sunday, 1 September 2013

'V' button front shirt dress

This is the last dress I will be making for a little while. I have had the fabric for this project for some time and was just waiting for the right dress to come along to apply it to. It's a soft drapey viscose twill type fabric and has a kind of retro look to the print which, if I really squint, reminds me of  gorgeous Eley Kishimoto dresses.

The pattern is yet another from 'Stylish dress book - Wear with freedom' and is also a button fronted loose style, which seems to be my favourite at the moment.

original from book

I messed up again with the pattern! I somehow managed to add hem allowance to the back, plus extra as per the instructions, but completely missed this on the front. The dress front ended up quite a way off the length that it should be (10cm!). How annoying! I have fixed this by adding in a bottom panel, but realise this looks pretty rubbish. I think I will make up a little frill in the same fabric to cover the seam, but also go round to back of the skirt. Anyway, here's the finished garment.

Dress front

Self covered buttons - a pain to make!

Dodgy hem!

Dress back

Close up detail of fabric

Some accessories that I thought would complete the look nicely...

Eley Kishimoto tights

Tatty Devine necklace
Hobbs shoes