Sunday, 22 September 2013

My new winter coat!

I have been busy again! This time I have been making a new winter coat! I have had this pattern forever. It was in my mums sewing box, but now it is in mine and I've always liked the look of it. It is designed to use a reversible fabric or a shearling, as all seams are exposed. I found this 100% wool double sided fabric for a bargainous £5.99p/m and decided to give it a go. I only bought 2.5 metres, which was a little scrimpy, but I managed to get my coat out of it.

 I made a few very minor alterations to the pattern, by making it shorter than the longest length, so it falls just at my knees and also adding toggle fastenings rather than a belt

I have used patent leather for the fastenings to contrast with the flatness of the black wool and horn buttons. I only placed 2 on the coat, but may need to make a third a bit lower down.

I decided on a contrast orange binding for all hems. This is a neater finish than I would have got if I tried to turn under and machine and adds a nice point of interest. It also co-ordinates nicely with my swish new orange leather bag!

Some interior shots to show the construction. It was a bit of a chore to sew as the double sided fabric is so thick and I constructed it using lap and fell seams, which my poor little domestic machine struggled with immensely. The machine stitching looked worse on the inside, which was highlighted by the use of black thread against cream fabric, so I decided to cover all seams with brown cotton tape. This hasn't made for a perfect finish, but is a vast improvement.

 You can see that this fabric is a dodgy dye batch (hence the amazing price), but I don't mind. Overall I am so pleased with how this turned out and it is so warm and cosy. It's like wearing a blanket and you can wear nice thick jumpers with it when it's really cold out. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with myself and it cost less than £25 to make! In fact the leather and the buttons were the most expensive components!