Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Un petit waistcoat

I haven't done much crafting lately of any kind, but I wanted to make little man a waiscoat to wear to a wedding that we were attending last weekend. It was finished in time, it's just now that I'm choosing to write about it.

I searched online for free pattens and came across this one from Prudent Baby. It was simple enough to make, but I din't follow the tutorial, as I have my own method for construction. Rather than sewing the lining and face fabric together and then turning out I sewed the lining and face fabric together for the back and both fronts seperately on all edges apart from the shoulders and side seams. The tutorial from Prudent Baby instructs you to sew the armholes last with a top stitch, which I really don't like, so once I had bagged out the 3 pieces I inserted the shoulders of the backs into the fronts (right sides together) and stitched on the inside.


Above the pieces are stitched all around apart from the shoulder and side seams. I used a 1.5cm seam allowance, but the pattern calls for 1cm. Mine came out a bit small truth be told!


shoulder seam stitching - back shoulder is inserted into front, right sides facing, stitched and turned back through. Press everything to make sure it looks lovely!


 Back side seams are inserted into fronts and stitched to the face fabric only.


Front lining side is pressed under 1.5cm and pinned to be hand stitched. This creates a nice neat finish with no visible machine stitches and no bagging.


I finished wiith some hand embroidered button holes (not my finest needlework and they are not evenly spaced, doh!) and some closely matched, but not quite vintage mother of pearl buttons.



Finito!

Sunday, 16 June 2013

House cushion in one crafternoon

After shrinking yet another cardigan, I decided to actually turn it into something rather than store it in the cupboard of things that could be useful at some point! From one very dodgy little sketch came a cute little cushion (even if I do say so myself). And the best bit was that it was started and finished in just a few hours whilst little man was round at his grandparents.

1 dodgy sketch + 1 boil washed cardigan = 1 gorgeous cushion


After cutting out the sleeves of the cardigan, I pressed all of the material, cut out a rough house shape and started to cut and pin felt shapes. I did all of this by eye rather than exact measurements. Once the shapes were pinned, I sewed everything on with embroidery threads, using blanket stitch for the roof and chain stitch for the windows and door. I pinned the finished front to some lovely bright yellow vintage fabric right sides facing and cut a matching back, which were then sewed together with a 1.5cm seam allowance. I left a small opening at the bottom edge to turn out as well as for the stuffing and slip stitched this closed. More than anything, I am really pleased with the colours of this.