Thursday, 27 February 2014

Denim dress

As if there was not enough denim in my wardrobe already! Denim, denim, denim will I ever tire of you? It would seem not with the addition of this new denim number.


I bought myself 3 metres of denim the other week without any idea of what I may do with it, I just knew I couldn't live without it. The denim in question has now become a denim shirt dress, which by the way is the most perfect denim dress ever, as well as a pair of pleated bottom trousers which I don't really want to talk about right now.

Back to the dress! It just so happens that after the denim was purchased I received an e-newsletter from Uniqlo with a picture of the kind of thing I was thinking of. Very utilitarian, front button placket as well as being a loose fit. I dislike the length however, as I do not like to subject the outside world to my knees.

http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/086562

Having just recently completed the spot chambray shirt I knew that I was happy with the fit of this style, especially on my hips, so simply lengthened the front and back pattern pieces to make a dress. Other changes I made included excluding the collar completely, making a facing for the collar front and ending the button placket at the hip, which then continues into a pleat (similar to the Uniqlo version, but not very visible in these over exposed pictures). I kept the sleeves short and fitted, as I thought this would be easier to wear with cardigans. I have several long sleeved dresses now and they look untidy with another layer on top. I also omitted to add side pockets which, in hindsight, would have been far more practical.

New to me is the technique of adding poppers. This has always seemed like a scary concept, but oh how wrong I was! Apart from getting the first one off centre and having to continue as such for the rest, it was easy peasy. I am now so button averse, that I'm wandering where I can get a lifetimes supply of poppers.


I took a tip from Handmade Jane and ordered me some Gutterman denim thread, which blends perfectly for the topstiching.


I have worn this loads already and as you can see from the pictures the denim has softened and the colour has remained nice and even (£4.99 from fabric land).

And how's this for some denim inspiration? This is an image of the last imperial Japanese soldier to come out of hiding in the Philipines 29 years, that's right, 29 years after WWII had ended!!! His uniform is a glorious mix of faded blues.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/2014/01/18/japan-last-wwii-straggler-dies/ykhGFpHFIpcIzL078YmTiO/story.html

4 comments:

Sara said...

It's a beautiful dress and I'm sure you'll get a lot of wear out of it. One of the reasons I sew is you can rarely find knee length skirts and dresses in the shops. I too cannot bear to show my knees !

Marilla Walker said...

Thank you Sara! It is already a wardrobe staple, I'm just wandering why I didn't make this years ago!

Hannah said...

Love this Marilla! I really need to sew up some simple day dresses like this one!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Hannah! I genuinely wear this aaaaalll the time!