Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Stripe button front shirt dress

This is the second incarnation of the button front shirt dress from the Japanese sewing book 'wear with freedom' the first being here.

I made a mistake when tracing the pattern for my first version and didn't add enough length in the front. This was only discovered once I'd sewn the button placket, pocket and front gathers...doh!

Here is my new and improved version without any mistakes.



The only topstitching detail on the top half of the dress is on the pocket, placket and collar stand. I omitted this from the back yoke and only cut one yoke instead of a double layer. Interfacing has been added for the placket, but not for the collar or stand, which is stable enough without. I have chosen stud fastenings, as these SEEMED like the easiest option. Not so! Almost every single one got mangled when I tried to hammer them in. I just kept bending them back and re-trying and eventually ended with an acceptable finish.


I have french seamed the sleeve and doubled over the hem, so that they can be turned up without looking a mess. The rest of the dress was machine stitched on straight stitch and overlocked.


Check out the pattern matching on the yoke! More pattern matching glory on the side seams (see above picture). Didn't work on sleeves, but who cares???

A success! I'm even wearing this dress as I'm typing.

7 comments:

House of Pinheiro said...

thats so pretty!

Marilla Walker said...

Thank you! I can't stop wearing it! ;-)

Katie said...

Really gorgeous and looks so comfy! I need to dive into some of the Japanese books I've been hoarding.

Marilla Walker said...

You most definitely should! It's a pain to trace the patterns, but they are so easy to wear.

Jessica said...

very cute dress. Fabulous finish. :)

Karina Nielsen Rios said...

Really lovely dress.
What kind of fabric have you been using? A woven or a knit?

Marilla Walker said...

Hi karina, this is a t-shirt knit, but I've also made a woven version and both have been well worn now. This pattern is fantastic and I love it still! :-)