I have made numerous bags in the past, but this is by far the best one! I think the difference with this one is that I took the time to draft a paper pattern and thought a bit more about the finish from the outset. My usual tactic is to just measure and cut out shapes direct to the fabric, which does not work out so well, because the initial planning stage somehow gets forgotten. Weird, seeings as you'd think I'd plan more to go straight to fabric!
Anyhew, back to the bag! I recently had the pleasure of holidaying in Wales and whilst there found this piece of John Lewis oil cloth at a car boot sale. It is almost a metre length and cost £2.50. I love buying things like this on holiday, as it my ideal kind of souvenir.
I'll not go into construction detail right now, as I may create a PDF pattern for this at some point, so don't want to bore you un-necessarily. I will however point a few of it's key features if I may...
I have piped the bottom and side panels with a brown/white fine stripe cotton, as well as bound the front pocket
I added some buttons and hand-sewn buttonholes to the strap to make it slightly adjustable. The thing I dislike most about bag construction is the amount of hardware you are expected to have, so I wanted to be able to use materials and techniques that are easily accesible.
I also added a little cotton tab to seal off the end of my zip, as I ended up using an old open ended one from my stash (no, make that my mum's stash)
Top stitching to keep seams down and attach the shoulder strap, plus my label (of course!)
Fully lined in the green colourway of the piping fabric
I have acheived quite alot considering my initial plan was to make a portable change mat. Funnily enough, I have managed to squeeze a change mat out of my fabric, but got distracted by the bag, so it remains an UFO for now.