Friday, 9 May 2014

MMM'14 - week 2 round up

This challenge is rather taking me by surprise. I knew that I would be able wear an item of me-made clothing every day, because I often do, but I'm discovering how to incorporate more of my me-made wardrobe into day to day life.

My issue normally is that I don't have a lot of time to 'put together' outfits, so just chuck on the same dresses with either tights or leggings. My staple weekly rotation mainly consists of my Japanese sewing book dresses like the denim dress below.

Documenting my outfits is encouraging me to look beyond these favourites and I am able to see that I have some really great basics. Sure, I still need to add pieces, like jeans and trousers, but I'm not going to rush into it and make these items on a whim. Sometimes sewing can be as impulsive as  shopping and not entirely practical. To avoid waste, I am going to think carefully before adding to my existing wardrobe of me mades. I do after all have RTW jeans and trousers that have been around for a while and show no signs of going anywhere, so there's no rush! My new moto is 'make for keeps, don't make for makings sake'!!!

Right, enough of that. Here's my round up for the week...

Day 3 - squinty face strikes!
  • Me made denim shirt dress from Japanese sewing book 'stylish dress book - clothing for everyday wear'

Day 4
  • Button front dress from 'simple smocks, dresses and tops' blogged about here
  • Sainsbury's leggings
  • Esprit shoes

 Day 5
  • Crimplene skirt blogged about here. I never thought I would ever wear crimplene let alone sew with it, but I can safely say that I am converted!
  • Me made cardigan - knitted from a vintage yarn saving pattern from the forties
  • Cos t-shirt
  • Lotta from Stockholm clogs - one of my favourite pairs of shoes EVER!

blue and white stripey family goodness!
Day 6
  • Me made red heavy cotton twill circle skirt from a vintage 50's pattern (made about 5 years ago and worn on my first holiday to Rome with my now husband)
  • H&M safety pin print top

Day 7
  • Me made chambray shirt blogged about here.
  • French Connection trousers - bought about 6 years ago
  • Office sandals - bought about 5 years ago and have been reheeled, re-soled, re-glued. You name it and it's been done to these shoes!

Day 8
  • Hemlock tee blogged about here
  • Hand knit cardigan
  • Trousers from Toast - ok, these trousers were a fairly recent purchase in the January sale, even though I'm trying not to buy RTW, but in my defence they seem like an ethical company and these will last me for years!
  • Tatty Devine necklace


Day 9 - Fridays theme is Blue!
  • Me-made self drafted shirt dress - I guess I bought these buttons in bulk, as they are the same as on the dress from Day 4. I definitely have a penchant for blue fabric with red buttons!!!


3 comments:

thisismoonlight said...

Thanks for the glowing words Marilla! This challenge seems to be bringing out the quirky side in me even more so than normal!

marilla walker said...

I love your style! This challenge is making me think about all sorts of things and it's definitely encouraging me to out things together differently. Look forward to seeing what you wear next! X

Sasha said...

Hi Marilla! My fave is the chambray shirt on day 7... the whole outfit looks great ... so gamine :)