Sunday, 18 May 2014

Pantalon Gilbert - from toile to trouser

Yesterday, I posted about my new denim trousers I made for the sewing meet-up. Well, today I thought I would post some pictures of the toile with only some minor changes to the original pattern to show how I've adjusted the fit.

The original toile is much more fitted and shorter in length. I have finished them off as a wearable toile now, as they fit ok! The only change I did make after sewing them up completely was to undo the waistband and flatten out the pleats, as these were pulling in a very unflattering manner. If you look at the original model shots for this pattern you can see that the trousers are not intended to be so close fitting, but I have fairly curvacious legs and hips. Even if I'd graded up on this area I don't think those tiny pleats would have been flattering!


The fabric is a cotton sateen remnant and only cost £1, so although the print is a bit cray cray I'm going to give them a whirl and wear them. Not convinced these are going to wash well, but I suppose it's not the end of the world for £1!


I must say these do fit quite well on my bum on my toiled version (the print is really emphasising the size of it though).

So, there you have it. If you're going to make these trousers definitely toile up first, as with all trousers really, to work out how you can make them work for you. Unless you are one of the lucky people with model like pins.

2 comments:

Jenna Bennett said...

I think they look great, you should definitely wear them! Nice and summery x

gingermakes said...

These look great! I need to stop being so scared of trousers and make a pair!