Sunday, 1 June 2014

Free pattern - Sailors top

To celebrate/commiserate the end of me-made-May I have designed a t-shirt! If you've been following my May outfits then you will know how much I like stripes and boxy tops. 

As much as I love the amazing Hemlock tee, I felt the need for something a little more nautical and here it is....


It is basically made up of oblongs and triangles and is very simple in construction. I am a big fan of antique textiles and last year bought this lovely french nightdress in that there French France that was so simple, but so pleasing and it had gussets!!! I have taken the idea of the 'gusset' to create shaping and ease to the main part of the body. Now, although I have not looked at traditional sailors clothing for reference when drafting this top (if you can call it that) I have a fair idea that this is far from original in design. I'm pretty sure that this has been made many times in days of old.

If you look really hard you'll see a pocket there!
Gusset number one nestled under the arm
Gusset number two is sitting in top of the shoulder
Detail shot of gusset number one
Detail shot of (you guessed it) gusset number two
Me in new top
Me in sleeve
Because the weather was really nice today we had a mini picnic in the garden whilst taking the photos, so here I am mid-mini cheddar chew...


Looking a little more demure!


This is in one size only and for reference I am a medium (UK size 12). This can easily be altered by making the rectangles smaller or larger if you need to and also some of you may find the neck a bit gapey, but that is how I like to roll. This may even look good as a dress (need to consider that one!)

Here is some pattern inspiration!


If you are still interested then the pattern is available here.

Please note - The PDF is saved as one large page, so if you are printing at home you will need to download the file, select to print, tick 'fit' and 'poster' in the page size and handling and this should tile the image for you. I have filled the pattern pieces with a grid, which not only makes matching the pages easy, but also gives you the correct seam allowance. Each square of the grid measures 1cm, so if this does not measure correctly then you need to adjust your printer settings. Hopefully this makes sense, but let me know if you have any problems with this.

Below is a picture of my photographer for the day and a little helper


I also had a play at taking pictures of flowers and these are the results...






Let me know if you have a go at making this top! All feedback iis most welcome!

9 comments:

wethesewing said...

Wow - this looks great Marilla! Love the way the t-shirt is constructed. Will def give this one a go :)

Elena said...

I've just recently found your blog from the MMM flickr pool. This is a really cool top! You can never have too many striped tops. I'm looking forward to making it.

Linda T said...

Such a cute comfy looking top AND thanks for sharing the pattern!

Scruffybadger said...

Cute and technically satisfying with those gussets, I bet!! Looks really easy to wear as well. One to bear in mind ( I've a lot of stripes in my stash!!)

englishgirlathome.com said...

Amazing! I love the gussets and the mini pocket.

marilla walker said...

Do let me know if any of you ladies decide to make this! I would appreciate feedback good or bad...I think! Quick kids tip: I accidentally printed this to a real small scale, which turns out to be ideal toddler size, so my son will be getting one very soon!

JustSew Jenna said...

Amazing! This looks great! I am so looking forward to seeing the toddler version too. (and btw GUSSET!! Such a great word!)

Sara said...

This is great Marilla! I love what the stripes do in the gussets. Boxy shapes are not usually the best for me with my square shoulders, but maybe I could adapt it somehow... Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

This is so cool! Especially love the shoulder detail. Will definitely go it a go sometimes. Thanks for sharing!