Thursday, 24 July 2014

Hand printed fabric swap - sign up here!!!

Right, I am going ahead with this then. I am going to organise a handprinted fabric swap!

Toilet roll stamp!
For those of you who did not read the last post, I am doing a hand-printed fabric swap for fellow sewists. This is a challenge for all skill levels and I am confident that amazing results can be achieved with very low tech equipment.

Basically I will pair people up, so you can get to know each other and you can then each produce one metre of hand printed fabric to swap with your partner. This will be a great way to get to know your partner and you can swap ideas and print techniques as you go if you like! Get to know your partners likes and dislikes, but do not let this confine you too much, as you will hopefully be using this challenge to experiment with colour and texture, so don't need to follow a specific brief as such (unless you want to!)...

Is there any criteria to take part in the swap? I hear you cry!
  • Well, I think that this is open to bloggers/avid instagrammers only I'm afraid. It will be easier for pairs to get to know/stalk their partners if they have something visual to look at.
  • This is going to be open to the whole world, so non-UK residents need apply!!!
  • There is no need to have ever done any print prior to this as I have set up a pinterest board full of inspiration, which I shall be adding to further. See here!
FYI, I'm not an experienced printer, so will be learning as I go on this one, but I have set up a pinterest board that we can all add to with 'in progress' samples and final prints here. Once I have your email addresses, I shall invite you to be contributors to the board and hopefully we can all inspire each other!

I don't want to be too much of a school mistress, but feel that there needs to be a few rules in place to ensure that everyone gets a fair deal.
  • Fabric wise, I think it's best to stick to natural fibres such as cotton or linen (doesn't matter what colour or weight). This is better for print and also means that each swappee will get a reasonable quality of fabric in return.
  • Please pre-wash before printing to remove any fabric coating and allow shrinkage.
  • Also, please fix your dyes according to the manufacturers instructions and wash after printing to make sure that the dye stays in place (even if it's a hand wash). You can then instruct your partner how you washed it, so they know it's safe to do the same.
  • Can fabric be at least 140cm wide? Then at least a nice top or something can be made from the fabric.
If you would like to register your interest in taking part then please comment below. Can you please leave your name, blog URL, email address and where you are from? I'm going to partner up everyone randomly, so please be aware that you may have to send your print overseeeeeees!

Please register by Saturday the 2nd of August and I will then pair you up. Given that this may be something new to some of you, I think we should have a longish deadline, so shall we say complete and post your finished print by Tuesday the 2nd September? This should hopefully give you time to gather supplies, have a play and come up with something you are happy with.

Really excited about this challenge and looking forward to getting started already! I have never organised anything like this before, so please be kind and politely tap me on the shoulder if you think I've missed anythign out!

23 comments:

Katie said...

I'm in!
katie[at]whatkatiedoes.net / whatkatiesews.net / UK

Lucy said...

Yessss!!! I'm in too!

www.reniqlo.co.uk
reniqlo@gmail.com

Lucy x

Jen said...

I'm in please!

Jen, teafortwodiary.blogspot.com, jen_rachel_wright[at]hotmail.com, London UK.

Woo! x

wethesewing said...

I'm def in! Great idea :)
wethesewing (at) gmail.com
http://wethesewing.wordpress.com

amanda stinton said...

I'd really like to take part but dont have a blog but do post my makes on insatgram?

sewimadethis@gmail.com

Marilla Walker said...

Just amended 'the rules' for you Amanda! ;-)

Claire said...

Claire
hoopesparkstudios.com
hoopesparkstudios[at]gmail[dot]com
From the good 'ol U S of A
Yay fabric swap!

JustSew Jenna said...

I'm in!!!
jenna (at) horner (dot) org (dot) uk

Alice said...

aw. My blog is currently down (it got hacked) and I don't have instagram. My dad is the admin so if he can get it up and running by the 2nd I'll come back to sign up.

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Alice, ah it would be great if you could get the blog back up. Sorry to even have rules, but I think it would be easier and more fun for people to share progress somewhere online and these seem to be the best platforms for doing so. Fingers crossed you can join in! X

fabrickated.com said...

Yes please. Great idea. Would love to join in.

Caroline said...

Wow this sounds right up my street. I would love to get involved but must stick to my resolution of committing when I have my 15,000 word dissertation to complete by September.
Wishing you loads of luck - such a fab idea. Sign me up for the next one!

englishgirlathome.com said...

So exciting!

Charlotte
www.englishgirlathome.com
powell2317(at)hotmail.com
Birmingham, UK

Marilla Walker said...

Wow, I'm so chuffed that all you lovely ladies want to take part! This is going to be great! I'm already planning my next post of supply suggestions, tools, techniques etc...

Such a shame that you can't participate Caroline. Definitely up your street, but 15,000 words before September? That definitely takes priority.

Louise Oakes said...

This sounds like a fabulous swap, it's got my creative juices flowing, so would love to take part.

Louise Oakes

elsiemayandbertha@virginmedia.com

elsiemayandbertha.blogspot.co.uk

Wallasey, Wirral

Instagram louise_emandb

beassewingadventures said...

This sounds like the sort of swapping fun I love, so count me in!
I'm Béa
beassewingadventures.wordpress.com
mizztigger@hotmail.com
and I'm in the UK.

Eeep!!! I've never tried anything like this before, but I have a feeling this could be the start of something beautiful!

Fleur de carotte said...

Hello,
I would love to be in!
http://www.fleurdecarotte.net
amandine.vdb@hotmail.fr
However I don't have Instagram...
But I live in the UK!
What an exciting opportunity, thank you

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Bea, Louise and Fleur de carotte, so good to have you on board! No need for Instagram, as long as you have a blog that's fine.

I can see that you have done some printing Fleur de Carotte, so look forward to seeing more of your stuff and glad to have found a lovely new blog to read!

Bea, good for you trying something new! Hopefully we can all support each other with tips and advice! :-)

Carrie said...

What a fun idea!! I'm in!

ohshedabbles at gmail dot com

http://ohshedabbles.com

xx
Carrie

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Carrie, welcome to the swap!

Fleur de carotte said...

Hi Marilla, thank you for the nice words ;) It's nice to find some blogs about printing and not only sewing!

Debbie Osborn said...

Hi there, just found this! I would love to join in if you do another one please. :-)

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Debbie, not sure I will do another swap, but you should have a go at printing anyway as it's great fun! ;-)