Wednesday, 20 August 2014

Blog hop

I was nominated for a blog hop mini questionnaire by Kathryn of 'Yes I like that' this week (one of my favourite sewing blogs). I really enjoyed reading her responses, so felt enthused to answer them myself. It's kind of nice having a blog post to write that is not related to a particular project for a change too.

As this is a non-sewing post, here's a non-sewing photo of me and the kiddie winkles in our (currently) very brown living room


What have you been doing / making / scribbling at your desk this week?

Urm, this week in the evenings I have been trying to print my fabric for the hand print fabric swap. I did what I thought was my absolute final print only to realise I had disobeyed my own swap rule and printed on fabric that is not at least 140cm wide! Can't believe it, so I'm going to have another go this afternoon when the kids are carted off to the grandparents.

Other than that I am obsessing about making a winter coat and am thinking about what styles I love most. It feels like a really big decision due to time and effort that will be spent on it and I'm also thinking that this could become a published pattern if I really like it!

I started cutting a black waxed canvas Albion coat for my husband, as I've had the fabric to do it since Easter, but it keeps falling to the back of the queue for some reason!!!!

Where are you currently finding your inspiration? (Influences, heroes, sources of inspiration, paths exploring)?

Inspiration? I don't really know where this comes from at the moment. Obviously the internet is a great source these days. I really bounce off of other peoples makes and seeing so many great handmade garments really spurs me on to want to do better. I only started reading sewing blogs regularly at the beginning of this year (largely due to night time feeding) and I am astounded by the content and the makers. The online sewing community is brimming with so many good ideas that it's a little overwhelming!

I am influenced by everything really, but I always come back to my family and my roots for my primary inspiration. My parents really nurtured mine and my brothers creativity when we were growing up and for that I am forever grateful. My mum has always been into clothes and is a courageous dresser, but this was always a bit embarassing when I was little and wanted to fade into the background. She has influenced the way I dress myself so much though and I love her boldness when it comes to clothes. She always told me not to be a sheep, so I try not to be. Baa!

At the moment I am exploring the world of pattern making and looking to sell some of my own. This is nerve racking, terrifying and exciting all at the same time, but this is a great time for me to give it a go and is something I have always seen myself doing (designing that is, not the pattern making bit). I come from a fashion and textiles background, so it would be amazing if I could finally turn it into a viable business of my own...even a wee little one!

How important is being creative to you, and how do you blend this with your work / life / family balance?

Having a creative outlet is everything to me. It's difficult to explain, but it's as important as eating and breathing!!! (Although, not as important as my children)

I have to have something on the go at all times, whether that be sewing, drawing, knitting, whatever! I do not rest once the kids have gone to bed, I craft! I don't craft for myself when they are awake, as time with the kids is special and they are too little to be left to their own devices, but once they are alseep I am off! Most exhausted parents would take the time to sit in front of the TV and put their feet up, but I've tried this and I get irritated by the lost craft time.

When packing for a holiday or time away from the house, more important than clothes is my holiday craft project. I literally cannot contemplate down time without some crafting.

Crafting is as important to me as playing games on the computer is to my husband, so we live in perfect harmony doing our own thing and even manage to do these things in the same room! We are even contemplating sharing a desk! Not sure if this is utter madness yet!

Have I said the word 'craft' enough times yet?

So, that was fun and I wrote it all during nap time, so I hereby nominate Jenna from 'Just sew Jenna' and Claire from 'Hoops Park studios' to take on this challenge should you wish...

2 comments:

fabrickated.com said...

I love the idea of you using your "me time" to be so productive. People are always saying "how do you find the time", but as you say doing nothing in front of the TV is such a waste. I found little kids very tiring, but I think sewing and printing are quite reviving, don't you?

Marilla Walker said...

Well, it does mean that the house work is kept to a bare minimum, but I'm ok with that! Small people are very tiring. More because of the amount of your undivided attention they require, but that's fine as it's for a relatively short amount of time. Let's face it though it can be boring, so thinking about crafting helps to make the day seem less so sometimes!