Wednesday, 10 September 2014

Free pattern refresh - now a t-shirt and a dress!

Having re-visited the pattern and instructions for my free t-shirt pattern, I decided it could do with a bit of a polish, so have done a bit of a refresh. Not much has changed, but I've made the pattern pieces look cleaner and added in the length for the dress. Yes, that's right a dress! I made this up this week and totally love it. (scroll down to the bottom for link to the updated PDF and instructions)


You may also notice that I have a serious addiction to this fabric. I cannot stop topping up my supply whenever I run out, previously used here and here.

I have updated the instructions for the neckline construction to include a binding or tape on the inside to stabilise the neck edge where this was previously just turned and stitched down. Look how neat this looks!


Here are some more pictures of my new dress. I was bored with my background wall, so put some fabric there instead! 


In my original post for this pattern here I was all about the gussets, both shoulder and underarm, but I have omitted the underarm gusset on this dress version and the fit is still fine.

Warning! Before you look down there is some mum tum on show...



I have unpicked and re-stitched the neck edge on the top version with a tape reinforcement as per the new instructions because I found that it would flop down when worn as it was.



Here is that underarm gusset...


I love how they look layed flat. So simple!



So if you're tempted to have a go you now have some ever so slightly prettier instructions to follow. Let me know if you have a go!

Please note: you do not have to use stripes!!!

Here are the links...

Pattern PDF
Instructions PDF

If you have any problems viewing these links then let me know and I'll try and help!

PRINTING ADVICE!!!

If you are having trouble getting the print test square to scale, or if the pages are not centered and surrounded by a black line border then it may be because you are trying to print directly from the file online. Download the file to your computer somewhere first or open with adobe reader and print. Make sure to select 'actual size' in your print preference so that the scale does not get altered.

18 comments:

Bellbird said...

Ooooh this is lovely! I was going to draft my own top very similr to this, but since you've done it for me, don't mind if I do! By the way what is your source for the amazing striped fabric?

Marilla Walker said...

Very glad to be of service! The jersey is from an eBay seller called Brunswick mill http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121273234183?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's a nice cotton t-shirt jersey, so not too stretchy

JustSew Jenna said...

Loving the dress!! By the way, I just counted the amount of times you put gusset in, because it felt a lot, but it was only 3. Disappointing!!

Marilla Walker said...

Oh really, that is disappointing as it felt like I was saying it in my head loads more than that!

Kestrel said...

Lovely, what a great classic top pattern. Even though they are not mandatory, it does look great in stripes :)

thornberry said...

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern - I'm going to make it today! Those gussets really make a simple design work beautifully.

Marilla Walker said...

Great, thanks! Make sure to share your pictures with me, I love to see finished makes! X

Fabric Tragic said...

Marilla this is so lovely! I too have a huge stripe addiction! I love the shoulder detail - it's so great to see a knit top with a little something different. I'm adding it to my queue. :) Sarah

Marilla Walker said...

Stripes are the best! I look forward to reading about your version Sarah! X

juju gago said...

this is such a cool pattern! Love it!
thanks for being so generous!

Jenny said...

I love this striped fabric - in fact, took your recommendation and ran with it, buying the last 3 metres they had (for the time being) of navy/white... Not sure what I'll make yet. Or how I'll smuggle it past my partner and into the fabric box so that I can say, when I get it out, that I've had it for 'absolutely ages'. A trick that definitely always worked when I was a teenager sneaking new clothes past my parents...!

Lesley Scott said...

Hi Marilla, I've just found your blog via Christine Haynes. I love this T shirt/dress and will make it up today seeing as its a very rainy easter weekend here in Sydney.

Marilla Walker said...

Oh great, I look forward to hearing how you got on!

Kathryn said...

Hello! I just wanted to say thanks so much for this pattern Marilla. I know you saw the top last weekend and I've already worn it twice since then - a sign of a sewing hit!

Marilla Walker said...

cheers lovely! xxx

cla16e said...

Hi,This is lovely! I know its a while since you posted this but have you bought any more fabric like this recently? I'd love to get some the same.

Marilla Walker said...

Hi there, I'm afraid I have failed to find any fabric truly similar which is really sad as I loved it so much! These garments are still going strong, so if I ever find it again I'll be getting the whole roll ;-P

Dorothy said...

Super blog and with a very interesting information about the shirts and fashion.. thank you.
équipement