Friday, 16 January 2015

Sewing socks

I am not sure if this is going to appeal or catch on in any way, but I have sewn some socks using my tights pattern. I have not used any additional pattern pieces, so this is a really simple way of making the most of your jersey scraps as you only need the smallest of fabric pieces.

 
Paper pattern pieces you will need are...
  • Foot from VIEW A - cut away from the main leg across the ankle
  • Heel turn piece from VIEW A
  • Leggings cuff from VIEW C
Insert the heel turn piece as per the instructions and attach the leggings cuff to the ankle of the foot in the same way as instructed for the leggings hem. Sew the seam from toes to the top of the cuff and fasten off both ends of the seam and you're done! Much quicker than knitting!
 

I have got lots of very small bits of this wool knit lying around, so am going to make up a few more pairs of striped socks, but I'm thinking that this would be a great way of using up fine knits from your wardrobe if they have seen better days or have gotten a bit moth eaten (damn moths).
 
Here is another pair I made up!
 

There are loads of variations of this and you can make them as long or as short as you wish from sports socks to knee highs. You will need to cut a larger cuff for further up the leg and insert some elastic into the channel to keep them up, but you can really go to town and make some amazing socks.
 
Here are some yummy sock ideas from my pinterest board!
 
 
 
Matching socks and t-shirt anyone???

11 comments:

Wakeymakes said...

Haha what a great way to use scraps or in my case recycle failed projects K xXx

Ruth Procter said...

Great idea - definitely a good way for using scraps!

Tassadit Rue des Renards said...

So cute! I just bought the pattern, can't wait to sew myself some tights and socks! :-)

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks ladies, it's such a funny idea to sew socks, but they work surprisingly well! I look forward to seeing what you make Sara! ;-) xxxx

Kathryn said...

These look brilliant, and Like you say, what a great way to use up old knits!

wethesewing said...

This is brilliant - I never thought i could SEW my own socks. Well done on such a cool pattern :)

Marilla Walker said...

Thank you sweet ladies! Have a good weekend Kathryn and Ingrid xxx

justsewtherapeutic said...

Brilliant idea, so much quicker than knitting!

fabrickated.com said...

I absolutely love these socks Marilla. Just great - enough to make an outfit on their own (I mean to wear with a plain outfit, rather than without any clothes....)

KnightMare said...

Is it bad that this was one of the first things I thought about when I saw the pattern.
I have a pair of fleece boot socks but the seam at the heel is really uncomfortable. I was thinking about using this to make myself some replacements... :)

Marilla Walker said...

I hear you about the seams! I sew with a very small seam on the overlocker using a three thread stitch (sewing machine would also work) and don't find the seam a bother at all. Good luck with making your own! X