Friday, 27 March 2015

Printing by the metre

Hand printed fabric by the metre is an idea that has been in my head for a long time and now that I have developed a brand that can be expanded upon I have started to jot down some designs. This is still a work in progress, but I hope not too far from an 'actual' product.


My aim is to produce some very (very) small runs of fabric suitable for dress making and each will be unique in it's own right. I guess I'm playing out my artistic ambitions on fabric! :-)

I'm yet to find a repeatable source of suitable fabrics to print on, but will start out with a few small bits I already have and go from there. Going forward it would be great to be able to print on fair trade and/or organic fabrics, so am really looking into this as a possibility and also need to iron out a few tech issues with the care of hand printed fabrics. Currently I am experiencing fading after the first wash, which I am looking to reduce. It's realistic to expect fading, but I'm currently trying to assess how much is acceptable.

Anyway, that's what I'm up to and getting my hands very dirty in the process. All a bit scary and new, but it's an addition that's really getting my creativity flowing, which I am more than happy about!

11 comments:

Helen said...

This is great Marilla - very exciting! I follow Karen Lewis, Maze and Vale, and Bookhou on instagram for printing inspiration and tips. I think Karen uses kona fabrics to print on.

Good luck with it all!

Best
Helen (knotographer)

Jeanette Archer said...

Oh Marilla this so exciting! I love printing so much. Try Whaleys for fabrics. They have lots of fabrics prepped for printing, haven't looked in a while so not sure how much fair trade/organic stuff they have. I love their pillow cotton for printing. :)

Crab and Bee said...

I used to do a ton of screenprinting, and making it repeatable is always where I got stuck! I'm excited to hear more about what system you end up using. I did get to see a local printer's setup, which was a custom table with runners on either side for the screen to move along. Hard to describe, but very cool!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks for the recommends Helen! I totally love all those designers you mentioned and hadn't thought to see what they use, but that's a great idea. Those ladies are clearly doing something right! X

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Jeanette. I used to use Whaleys all the time. I must have a loose screw or something, as I am not thinking straight about where to look and that's a really obvious place. Thank you! X

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Morgan, I definitely don't have space got that kind of set up and screen printing is totally out of the question, but it's a great suggestion! I'm sticking with block printing and maybe some micro screen printing, but producing something sleek is proving to be challenging yo say the least. I've got more of a dining table setup if you know what I mean ;-)

Beyond Measure said...

They look lovely! Have you tried http://www.organiccotton.biz/? I think they do wholesale and are really helpful.

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks for the tip! I've just placed my first order with them last week and they seem very good, so hopefully they will be a good go to place in future x

Elena Rosa Brown said...

So looking forward to seeing how you progress. It's so hard to find nice patterns!

JustSewJenna said...

Im so excited about this, I can't wait to see what else you come up with you clever person!!

Kirsty said...

I really hope that this works out. Your prints are gorgeous!