Saturday, 18 April 2015

bright orange skirt and white printed top

My third vintage item towards my vintage pattern pledge in as many weeks! Obviously I am a serious repeat pattern offender here. If I like a pattern then I am unlikely to only use it just the once and this is my second version of the vintage Simplicity 4899 wrap skirt, but this time with some significant mods.


After wearing this version around I felt the wrap at the back just didn't sit very neatly and constantly needed re-adjusting. I love the overall shape however, so I eliminated the wrap in favour of a plain back with lapped zip fastening. Fortunately the pattern has the centre back clearly marked, so it was just a case of adding a seam allowance to this and cutting two back pieces.


The other element that was a bit niggly on the first version was the straight waistband. I turned to the shaped waistband of my Evan skirt pattern instead, as I know this fits me really well and sits perfectly in place without any weirdness.


I cut the outer waistband in the main fabric (a Scottish waffle wool fabric from fabricland) and the inside waistband in a perfectly co-ordinating orange silk that has been a scrap in my stash for ever and matched the orange so amazingly it was clearly meant to be. I even had enough for my pocket linings, so was pretty pleased.

 
The wool was quite bouncy, so I used a clapper when pressing to really make them lye flat. When I say clapper, I actually mean a wood offcut from the garage! I think the overall finish is quite contemporary looking and the pockets are, yet again, the star of this skirt.


The top is a white Irish linen Maya top (yawn, another repeat pattern), which I printed with a big circular motif. It is cropped a couple of inches shorter than the shortest length on the pattern to show off the details of the skirt.

 
 
This whole outfit was made on impulse, but had a lot of thought behind it at the same time. I have had the orange wool in my stash for a while now and wanted to make the most of it, as it's the most awesome colour and weight in real life. I half thought of making a jacket, but couldn't visualise it and this skirt is the most perfect skirt I could have imagined. It always feels so good to cut into precious fabric and for it to turn into something wonderful doesn't it? The top is standard and is something I have wanted to make for a while. Practical, wearable, not much else to say on that one!
 
 
 Why the sudden need to make an outfit? Well, I was meeting up with some fabulous sewing ladies this weekend and just wanted something new to wear. I obviously didn't neeeeed to make anything, but I wanted to and they are items that can become part of my everyday wear.
 
Whilst I was in London there happened to be a Cloth House sale going on. They are basically clearing their dead stock to consolidate everything into one shop instead of two premises. This meant that the lines they are no longer continuing was going for crazy cheap prices and I ended up buying a lot of jersey at £1p/m. I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this correctly, but if it is discontinued and old stock then does that mean that this is a sustainable fabric purchase? It's there to sell of, they are not replacing it with more, so am I getting that right or am I bending the situation to suit my desire to shop sustainably?


19 comments:

Crab and Bee said...

I love that circular print you made!

Elizabeth Made This said...

The pockets have such a fun shape! Vintage pockets had such excellent styling. It's nice to add them to a modern garment.

Meg said...

Wow, this skirt is gorgeous! The color, the pockets, the fit...

Sewingsu said...

You are just so talented! I love the skirt and the top, and I am sooooooo jealous of your bargain purchases!

englishgirlathome.com said...

I love both of these. The colour of the skirt is gorgeous & I love your t-shirt motif.

Helen said...

Absolutely stunning outfit! You have great sewing skills and vision!

Helen (knotographer)

Minnado said...

Love that colour, it's one of my favourites. I really like how you give a side view of the skirt too, sometimes I get fed up with only front view pictures as I want to see what a pattern looks like sideways!

Melissa said...

Marilla, I have been admiring your blog for quite some time. I just love your printed fabric. This one with the circle is just perfect!!! The top with orange skirt combo is a great spring/summer outfit! Nicely done!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks for all the fabric love and this vintage skirt pattern is brilliant! I am unable to reply to comments individually on this blog unless I reply straight after the comment is made (techno idiot), but hope that this group thanks for all your comments is ok! X

Sarah said...

This is one terrific outfit, Marilla! It suits you so well and I love the bright skirt.

Marilla Walker said...

Thank you so much Sarah! X

Caroline said...

Oh how I love this sumptuous orange skirt. Such a delicious colour (I just can't wear it myself) so I am living vicariously through your awesome outfit here!
Give me a shout when you're next in London I only live 15 mins from Berrick Street x

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Caroline, we should definitely meet up at some point although I'm not in London very often. Will give you a shout next time though and hopefully something can be arranged as it would be great to meet you! x

Kathryn said...

Oh wow I just love this outfit!! That skirt fabric deserves all the love!

Helen // Grosgrain Green said...

Love love love this! The skirt is just perfect, and that colour!!!! Gorgeous.

amanda stinton said...

Love this whole outfit!! Pattern, colour, print are all gorgeous as usual!

JustSewJenna said...

I love this whole outfit so, so much! That orange is just amazing and looks fab with the white top. I have decided to blatantly copy you and convert my existing skirt into a back zip one. lovely fabric haul too! you are going to be busy!!

anenthusiast said...

Ah mate, this is gorgeous in real life. I'm glad I got to feel up your threads! Very nice indeed!

Marilla Walker said...

Ha, it was so much fun spending time with you and the other girls! Hopefully we'll meet again soooon xxx