Monday, 25 May 2015

hand printed 'named' bly overalls

Hello there! Long time no write, but I have not had much to write about lately having been parted from my sewing machine for one reason or another. I'm back with a bang though and have just made something that I can't wait to tell you about!

I was contacted by 'my fabrics' a while ago and after some deliberation took them up on their offer of free fabric. I went for this linen with the intention of printing on it and making something to wear over the summer. I screen printed it with a grassy design and was fully geared up to try out some Turia dungarees, but changed my mind at the last minute when I was reminded of the Bly overalls by 'Named'. I have bought both patterns and hope to make the Turias at some point, but for now the Bly overalls just seem much more me. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but this pattern excites me so much.

 
The details are so cute! I love the button front placket (even though I messed up my button hole placement a bit) and the straps are really flattering the way they come round close together at the front and are tapered to be wider at this point.
 


The back is equally flattering with the low trouser waistband and long straps. Something that bothers me about the Turias how much the back straps cover the back. I like the curves of my back to be on show in a garment that could otherwise look quite frumpy on my shape.

 


The front pockets are super sleek too and so easy to construct without any topstitching.


As far as fit goes, these are totally spot on! I have made the Named Wyome jeans with a lot less success in the sizing department, so decided to size up to a UK16 for these. I measured the largest part of my thighs and went with this for my hip measurement. My thighs are a good couple of inches bigger than my hips.

I have mentioned this time and again before, but I do not follow instructions. I just can't do it! I much prefer to look at the puzzle before me and work out how I'm going to put it all together and these did go together really well.

Let me tell you about some of my favourite bits that make me smile.

These buttons are a recent find. I don't normally buy new buttons for projects, preferring to raid my vintage stash, but when I happened upon Textile Garden recently I went of piste and ordered a few sets of buttons these being one of the sets. I had just enough for these overalls (one less than stated in the pattern) and they are a perfect match.


I also had a play at hand painting some of the scraps of fabric which I then used for the bib lining pieces and waistband facing.


Love this bit!


A dinosaur for my sons benefit!



Back to the fabric. The linen fabric is probably what I would call a medium weight and perfect for this kind of thing or a jacket, but maybe too heavy for a summer dress. It printed really well and evenly and was a dream to sew. It obviously creases easily, as any linen does, but I kind of like that for a relaxed feel.

The sewing pattern I used is amazing and I hope to make at least one more pair in a light denim. I'm just really surprised that this has not already caught the attention of the blogosphere, as it's adorable!!! I haven't been able to find any images of these made up anywhere else other than on raystitch's Instagram feed.

Next up is to make this top from the 'casual sweet clothes book' in some black silk jersey from the Cloth House mega sale recently. I made it last year in a linen fabric, but am dying to make it in a more drapey fabric. I think the fluttery sleeves would look spectacular with the overalls.

 
 
Anyway, that's me out of my mega sewing rut. Who else is going to try this pattern out???
 
P.S. I do still love the Turia's and will make them up soon, but maybe with a low waistband at the back and long straps like these ;-)

15 comments:

Caroline said...

You are def back with a very cool bang! Loving your hand-printed linen. Such a great print and the overalls look fab on you.
I will be wearing my not-anywhere-near-as-cool painting overalls this week for the last round of skirting board / door painting of my house x

Sarah said...

OMGosh! So cute! I love linen soooo much and am envious of your pretty and prettily handprinted overalls :)

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Sarah and Caroline! Is it wrong that I can't wait for bedtime so that I can wear them tomorrow! ;-)

teridodds said...

These are so fun! I hadn't heard of this pattern until just a few weeks ago and yours is the first I've seen made up. I love how they fit you and your hand painted fabric is amazing! Very well done!

Louise Perry said...

Love how excited you are by these! I'd not seen this pattern before, but it is a perfect showcase for your printed fabric. Great work.

Maddie Flanigan said...

Overalls are the perfect outfit for summer and I'm so glad they're back "in fashion." It will look even more spectacular when you make that flutter sleeve blouse!

Melissa said...

Marilla you look so happy in that first photo - gushy happy! And no wonder, the overalls are totally fun and cool on you and such a great use of your hand printed fabric! I love the special painted touches on the inside too!

Noelle said...

These are definitely a cool modern pair of overalls. Very nice!

Bellbird said...

So cute, Marilla! They suit you so well. I've made the Turias and I have a word of warning: watch the back crotch depth. I'm all for a flattering fitted bum, but you don't want to get a wedgie when you bend over or sit down, Iike I did! Next time I would add some depth back there to counteract such possibilities. Lovely to see the Blys made up though. I hadn't noticed this pattern before!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments guys! It's a new day today so I am going to wear them all day! ;-)

Bella - thanks for the tip about the turias! I have a long body, so wedgies are highly likely without some alterations ;-)

R said...

I love all your hand printing, it's really inspiring me. The styalised grass is subtle and fun. The circles of crosses are still my favourite though, I love how you used different colours and your placement.

I just went on a screenprinting course today, which was great fun but maybe a bit rushed at times (or maybe I was just trying to get too much out of it). Anyway, I'm seriously considering your thermofax screen recommendation next.

Thanks

gingermakes.com said...

These are so cute on you! I'm not really into overalls personally (I look like a little kid in them), but these are really fun.

Marilla Walker said...

Oh, I know exactly what you mean with the dressing as a kid, but I do love to release my inner toddler from time to time! ;-)

heatherybean said...

Oh my, I love this! Just searched the web for 'bly overalls' and so found your blog. Love the dinosaur, the shape, love the dungarees! What a fab item of clothing 😊

Marilla Walker said...

Ah, thanks so much! This pattern needs to be made by more people as it's fantastic! :-)