Friday, 11 September 2015

I'm in Love sewing mag!!!

Am I excited? Hell yes!



As a lot of you will already know Love sewing magazine has recently appointed a new editor who just so happens to be the absolutely lovely sewing blogger Amy from Almond Rock. She approached me about creating a pattern for the magazine and I didn't hesitate to say yes. It's an exciting opportunity to reach out to a wider audience and also to create some fun designs that may not fit in with my own pattern brand. Amy seems to have some great ideas for interesting and inspiring content, so I'm really looking forward to what she comes up with next!

Back to my project though hey? I created a pattern for what is effectively a one piece top. There are some facings for the armholes and neck edge, but other than that the main body is one piece with a hole for your head to go through. It is drawn from this vintage top idea that I made up earlier in the year, but has sleeves and an interesting button tab detail. All the seams are cleverly hidden, so no finishing of raw edges, but I would say that the construction maybe makes this unsuitable for a complete novice. BTW those buttons are not functional so, no tricky buttonholes!!!




I made my sample up in a really bargainous crepe fabric from one of my favourite ebay sellers thetextilecentre which is heavy and has a lovely drape. It's pretty easy to wear to the office and feel a bit different or make it up in a fine cotton or yummy linen for a more casual look! Have I sold it to you yet?

Anyway, go and have a look for yourselves! I have a few more projects in the pipeline too and really hope you'll love them. The next one may look a bit familiar, but I'm not saying more that that! These patterns are for the magazine only and I have no plans to release these under my own label, so if you see something you like then you'd better grab it! ;-)

P.S. The sample may look a bit different on the model in the magazine as she was wearing this sample, but is a different dress size. I didn't want to appear modelling in the magazine so asked the lovely people at the magazine if they could have a go and it looks great on the model they chose don't you think?

18 comments:

sewalign said...

Marilla,this is such a lovely top that you have designed - the button detail is fab! I will buy the magazine just for your pattern. I am looking forward to the launch of your jumpsuit/pinafore patterns!

Louise Perry said...

Congratulations, fab design too. This buttons on the side are great.

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks you two! I really enjoyed working on this little pattern. Jumpsuit/pinafore is not far away. Maybe a couple of weeks (ok, maybe three) ;-)

Jo H. said...

Oh wow, the textile centre looks great!! Probably a good thing they don't ship to Belgium :-) Or I could just have everything sent to my mum... in fact maybe I should just subscribe her to Love Sewing as well, it looks fab! Really great that it's so dressmaking-focused, and I love your button top!

JustSewJenna said...

I am so excited for you!! The top looks fab, I can't wait to make it. I think I may have to subscribe to Love Sewing! Xx

Susanne K. said...

Congrats on the magazin deal - a little sad though that it is probably not sold in germany (at least not in my very provincial neck of the woods). But than again I do own quite a few patterns already that wait patiently to be sewn so maybe this is a good thing plus I already subscribe to Ottobre Design ...
Lovely top. Xxx

Marilla Walker said...

Jo - the textile centre is amazing and has all sorts of bargains! Look out for the £7.99 Liberty lawn and if you order more than £25 worth of stuff to send to your mums it's free postage. Just saying!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Jenna! xxx

Marilla Walker said...

Oh Susanne, that is a shame! The only downside of magazines is they are not available to everyone and it's not available as a download either I'm afraid. I'm sure you have plenty to be getting on with though. It can't be long now until the new bubbas due date???

pootleandmake said...

Fantastic pattern Marilla it's barged it's way to the top of the to sew list. Congratulations on the collaboration, looking forward to seeing your other patterns.

amanda stinton said...

Well done!! Hopefully it will open your amazing patterns up to a whole new audience!Think I need to go and buy a copy of this months magazine...x

gingermakes.com said...

Congratulations! How exciting! I love your whole look here-- the bright colors really look great!

Portia Lawrie said...

I really need to keep up. I missed this! It's awesome!

Minnado said...

This is great. I love the red skirt too. I don't usually buy sewing magazines but I did go and get this one!

Marilla Walker said...

Oh thanks so much ladies and I really love this colour combination!

Minnado and Pootle and make - if you make the top then tag me on social media or email me so I can see. Always love getting to see the patterns made up! X

Almond Rock said...

Wahoooo so pleased to have you on board. This top is fantastic and we loved your contribution! Congratulations on being a printed author too. Hope you kept this to show the grandkids :-)

Almond Rock said...

Oh I don't know if this will reach Susanne K but we are available from the Apple store! And I think you can get the downloads for the app too somehow to print at home. Will check into it for you!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Amy, so excited! Obviously my mum has a copy she's keeping in mint condition for the family archives ;-)