Friday, 9 October 2015

NEW PATTERN - ROBERTS PATTERN

It's here, it's here!!!

I may not have been blogging much lately, but I sure have been sewing up a storm. Let me introduce you all to my latest pattern, the Roberts collection!

I am not going to hold back. I really love this pattern and have been living in all the variations. The luxury of working for myself means that I can design what I want to wear, which is never more true than with this pattern. It is everything I never knew I was looking for.

There are four and a half options to choose from (view C has two different skirt lengths, so I'm calling that a half) and all are really easy to wear. I have sewn the jumpsuit, dungarees and dungaree dress all up in denim and they are total jeans substitutes. I love the look of jeans, but I'm not a fan of waistbands. I also love the idea of jumpsuits, but have never found 'the one'...until now!

Make no mistake, this style is oversized and baggy with a very roomy leg in the trouser options, but if that's your thing then go for it!

VIEW A - JUMPSUIT

This is the style that kick started the pattern and if I was forced to pick a favourite then this would be it. The v-neckline has a sweet curved shaping that is really flattering and an over all loose, straight, baggy fit. Going by my actual measurements I made an overall size 3 that is graded out to a size 4 just at the pocket opening. My hips fit into the size 3 range, but my thighs don't!!!

I am tempted to go one or two sizes bigger with cropped leg for a really cool baggy fit. If I am tempted then I'll probably do it, so I'll keep you posted ;-)


VIEW B -  DUNGAREES

This style is drafted from the same trousers as view A, but with a separate bib pattern piece that tapers in at the waist to pull it in a bit. The straps are slim for a contemporary streamlined look and can be made as a full outfit with view D.


VIEW C - DUNGAREE DRESS

All the same top half as view C in the back shaping, bib and straps, but with a separate A-line skirt. The silhouette is much closer to the body than the previous two options and is a really lovely addition to the pattern. Everyone loves a dungaree dress right? There is also a midi skirt length included in the pattern. I shall share my version with you all either tomorrow or early next week, as my version has some really simple modifications that I want to share.

VIEW D - WOVEN T-SHIRT
A really simple adaption of the jumpsuit bodice in view A, this woven t-shirt has a plain V-neck, slightly A-line side seams and back seam detail.


The pattern can be purchased here.

I really hope you guys love this pattern as much as I do. I'm sure not everyone will (it's not humanly possible), but I have tried hard to offer as much as I can from one pattern as well as making it easy to use. I want to have more of a play and try out some more ideas that of course I'll share, but in the mean time I think there's plenty to be getting on with.

Fabric info - I used this medium weight denim here. It has a medium weight, but is soft to work with and has a nice drape. It says it has a slight stretch, but I would say it's very slight/not stretchy at all (not the same with their black colourway, that is stretchy)! If you were to buy this too then I would definitely recommend a couple of pre-washes, as the colour transfer is quite bad without!

Fabric suggestions for the pattern are as follows, but similar weights to those recommended would also be suitable.

VIEW A - Light to medium weight denim, cotton twill, linen, viscose, medium weight cotton
VIEW B - Light to medium weight denim, cotton twill, linen, corduroy
VIEW C - Light to medium weight denim, cotton twill, linen, corduroy
VIEW D - Cotton, linen, viscose, silk, rayon

I shall leave you with these outdoor pictures that I took in the eternal hunt for good natural light!

 

Have a good weekend everyone! xxx

33 comments:

gingermakes.com said...

Oh my, I love this, especially the jumpsuit variation! Can you tell me a bit about the weight/drape of the denim you used? I'd love to try it but not quite sure what fabric would be best...

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Sonja, thanks so much lovely! The denim I've used is actually quite soft to handle. It's thick-ish, so a medium weight, but not stiff like they can sometimes be you know?

sewalign said...

Marilla, this pattern is just what I have been looking for - I love it! I am a fan of pinafore dresses, having made 2 Apron Dresses from Stylish Dress Book. The pinafore/jumpsuit variation is fantastic and so versatile. I predict that this pattern will be a huge hit. Well done!

Scruffybadger said...

Marilla I love your aesthetic! You've got such a definite style and this set is awesome I'm sure it'll go down a storm. I'm really looking forward to seeing lots of Roberts appear on the blogosphere - not me just yet- moving house blah blah but I can enjoy everyone else's !!

Jo H. said...

Ah so brilliant to see it 'live'!! The slightly slimmer fit jumpsuit is a stroke of genius - small difference, big impact! Of course now I totally NEED one in denim too... I have to say though, I've been wearing my test version view C (with the extra ease/wider skirt) ALL the time and I absolutely love it - totally reckon I'm going to stick with that one :-) I've been waiting to blog it once you'd launched so will get on that this weekend, I can't wait to share it! CONGRATULATIONS! Definitely agree this has the makings of a big hit, well done my lovely!

Sewingsu said...

I love it!! The only problem will be deciding which view to make first.......

wethesewing said...

Congratulations Marilla! Another awesome pattern :) I love reading your pattern release posts because it's so obvious that you incredibly passionate. This is your calling! The dungarees are my favourite - looks so comfortable!

Helen // Grosgrain Green said...

Being totally honest, I not a fan of dungarees or dungarees dresses... But you look so damn cool in yours, it makes me want to like them! And I love the idea of the jumpsuit too. Such a gorgeous pattern, and I love he idea of a collection. Good value for money!!!

SarahRT said...

Must have this. Immediately.

Minnado said...

It is a lovely collection. You must have put in so much work. I like all of your samples and have been watching the development on instagram but frustratingly cannot comment on there. I used to wear dungarees in my distant past as an art student - not sure I can go back there now! BUt love the jumpsuit and dress. Just need to sell some things online to raise some paypal funds as I am currently skint. Cannot buy anymore patterns or fabric til I have some £££ :)

Francine Lacerda said...

Really love it! Especially the jumpsuit. Buying it for sure. :)

gingermakes.com said...

OK, that makes perfect sense! Thanks, lady!

Marilla Walker said...

Sewalign - so glad you like it and I love the Japanese pattern books too! Pinafore dresses are totally ace! 😉

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Winnie, thanks so much and I really hope you get settled in a new place soon! I saw your blog post yesterday and you must be dying to get unpacked and re-organised!

Marilla Walker said...

Ah jo, I love your yellow dress! I'm so glad you're enjoying wearing it and you totally need a denim jumpsuit. Can't wait to meet you soooon! Xxxx

Marilla Walker said...

Sewiingsu - you are so sweet! X

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks ingrid, I gotten say I love making patterns! 😘

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Helen, I totally get the dungaree thing! I am a long time lover of the dungaree, but I guess they are a bit like marmite in a love em hate em kind of way 😉

Marilla Walker said...

Ha ha, thanks Sarah x

Marilla Walker said...

Minnado - money, money, money! I never seem to have any either!

Marilla Walker said...

Francine - ah, thank you. I hope you enjoy the pattern if you do buy! 😉

jane said...

i am thrilled that you chose to tackle this pattern! i'm so in love and can't wait to try it out!! thank you again for ALL your hard work- i'm sure there was a lot!! thank you! thank you! thank you! :)

Heather Gibson said...

This looks so great Marilla! I can't wait to see it popping up everywhere!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks jane and heather! It was hard work, but well worth it! Xxx

Melissa said...

Congratulations, Marilla! What an awesome collection! I will get my own copy soon!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Melissa! X

Jane said...

Love it, bought it! Hmm as soneone else commented, which to make first?? Thank you for sharing your measurements too since I think I'm very similar in size to you and wondering if this would be at all flattering on me. I love the way it all looks on you so I'll be going for it!
One question... any chance of a 'copy shop' pdf version? Printing, cutting and taping A4 pages is a pet hate of mine :( I really hope this goes well enough that you can put your patterns into print!

Marilla Walker said...

Hi jane, thanks for your comment and I shall have a think about the copy shop version! Currently it's not something I've considered as most of my patterns are relatively small, but maybe this one is warrants a copy shop version!

Jane said...

Cool thanks Marilla :) I do like the ability to print out just the view you want but I think I want all the versions!

Mum said...

The jumpsuit looks great on you Rilla and were I 30 years younger, I would try to make one for myself but, alas, can't go back in time!

rosylea said...

What a lovely collection! I have made View C and it's making me very happy; I am imagining several more versions.

ghost in the post said...

I love the dress - is this the knee length or calf length that you made?

Marilla Walker said...

Hi there, this is the knee length version, but check the measurements against your own. In the post which follows this is the longer length!