Friday, 25 December 2015

Christmas sew over it shirt dress

Before this dress goes into the wash and it's blogging possibilities vanish forever I thought I would just get some photographic proof of my lovely new Christmas dress. I left the job of taking the photos to my husband and they were done in less than a minute, indoors with crap natural daylight so here you go!


I bought this fabric (apparently liberty brushed cotton twill) on Goldhawk road from a shop which will close down in the new year. It is so perfect for a Christmas dress it's ridiculous and I just couldn't walk away from it. Sew over it started stocking it too, but I believe they have sold out now. Lisa Comfort of 'sew over it' particularly liked it and made a vintage shirt dress from it, which I liked so much I decided to completely copy. Well, I did add grey contrast cuffs and lapels so it's not exactly the same...


What a comfy dress to wear today. I love the amount of ease throughout the waist, which is great when you are planning on eating a lot, but the shoulders and sleeves are well fitted so it does not feel too big overall. I did lengthen it quite a lot as the pattern as drafted is far too short for my tastes.

I imagine that the fit is probably not what most people would expect from the cover art as it gives the impression of a more fitted bodice. Personally it suits me perfectly, but if you are looking for a closer silhouette then definitely size down from the bust to waist.

I chose some grey buttons to go with the contrast fabric and I really like how they pop out of the dress.


Verdict = very happy with dress, fabric and pattern and can see myself wearing this a lot! The shoes are my Christmas present and I'm fairly in love with them too. Good old Clarks shoes ;-)

9 comments:

sewalign said...

A gorgeous dress for Christmas - love the pretty floral print and the colours are amazing!

Jo H. said...

Oh that lovely fabric! I can believe how comfy it is! Beautiful all round and I hope you had a lovely Christmas day!

Louise Perry said...

Great dress, really Christmasy! Thanks for the info on sizing around the waist. I was put off this pattern by the teeny tiny waists on the illustrations. To know it is not that fitted is great as I have seen so many lovely versions of this dress.

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks sewalign and Jo! I was going to wear it again today, but we were visiting family we saw yesterday and thought some variation wouldn't go amiss! I hope you both had a great Christmas! Xxx

Marilla Walker said...

Louise - definitely not the fit I was expecting, but very much for the better as I'm sure I've mentioned before I am currently avoiding super fitted waists. Had a lovely Christmas thanks and I hope you did too! Xxx

Kirsty said...

This looks to me to be the most perfect Christmas dress - that fabric is wonderful!!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Kirsty! xxx

gingermakes.com said...

This is so festive and lovely!! Merry Christmas!!

Marilla Walker said...

Ah thanks sonja. I don't often go for florals, but I'm so smitten with this one!