Wednesday, 16 December 2015

Kate Davies Epistropheid hat

My winter hat!


I wanted to knit myself a hat this year, as I have to walk a lot and wanted the option for head warmth (even though it's really mild here in the UK actually). I really like colour work and looked for a pattern based on that! I headed straight over to Kate Davies ravelry store actually as I love her designs and bought this pattern.


The pattern calls for DK yarn and I was ordering yarn for a jumper, so tagged some onto that. It is Drops Lima from Wool warehouse, which is so lovely to work with, really soft and available in loads of colours. The pom pom is made from some uber expensive yarn that I bought from a little knitting shop in Edinburgh a while ago. I went on an amazing week of wild camping with my husband and friends some years ago which finished up with a night in a hotel in Edinburgh where I bought this. It was £15 I think (the most expensive yarn I've ever bought) and I have been terrified to use it! It is a fluffy wool and angora mix I think and breaks easily as well as being really clingy and hard to unravel. It was a bad choice, but too beautiful to never use, so I turned it into the most luxurious pom pom there ever was.


I actually planned to knit a red and grey hat, but once I started working on my jumper I liked the yellow so much I stole some of my jumper yarn for the hat. Speaking of my jumper, here is a peek at what I'm working on. It's all a bit random and I'm building the design as I go, but it's so  much fun!

Other than that I have been working my way through some selfless sewing. My daughter had her second birthday last week, which mixed in with my Christmas crafting has been keeping me nice and busy. I am really enjoying it though. It's strangely soothing to be sewing for other people.

I hope you're all looking forward to Christmas this year! Lots of love xxxx

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Marilla, I love the hat! I've just finished Beginner's Knitting classes so colourwork is still a bit beyond my ability but would love to learn it in the new year (there's a class). Love what you're designing - beautiful colours!

Marilla Walker said...

Oh brilliant, well done for taking the first steps and everything comes with time! Colour work is not difficult, but you want to get used to knitting first and just holding things like your yarn and needles and practising looser tension (I find with colour work I need to loosen up a bit). Once you're comfortable with plain knitting, you can definitely take on some colour work ;-)

Bellbird said...

What great colours for your hat! Personally I think that the pompom is the perfect showcase for your lovely flash wool :)

Marilla Walker said...

Ah thanks Bella! I'm glad I got to make a nice fluffy pom pom from it actually :-)

Kirsty said...

That hat is perfect and the pompom is a perfect match.

Sonja said...

Wow!! This is perfection! It's going straight to the top of my Ravelry queue!

Amelia Wray said...

I may have just added this to my Ravelry list.....
Of course, I'll have to finish the other 20 knitting projects I've started/ have to make.

Marilla Walker said...

Ha ha, rave,Ray queues are the worst! Mine is always totally out of control ;-)