Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Knitted - rockhopper shawl

Hi friends! I have recently finished a knitting project. They can be few and far between, but I have been working on this since around Christmas time and have been keen to finish it. It took a recent week away with the family to finally reach the finish line.


This is the rockhopper shawl from the rather charming knitting book 'Penguin A Knit Collection' by the equally charming Anna Maltz. I have not met her, but I hope to one day and from what I can tell she's pretty charming. The book was only released before Christmas and I only discovered Anna just prior to this. As soon as I saw her stuff I was inspired and pre-ordered the book. It's enchanting and full of interesting penguin facts and bright colours. I cherish it!


What I have since discovered is that Anna is a fun knitter and this was huge fun to knit! Yes it's a plain garter stitch shawl, but the construction of the colour work is so clean and intriguing. I won't spoil how it's done (although you may be better at figuring it out than I), but I enjoyed knitting this from start to finish.

Now here are some awkward poses with my shawl in the sun, but I expect this will come into it's own next winter when it will be surgically attached to me.






Check out Anna's blog for more info on the other patterns in the book here. I have a jumper to finish up and then I plan to start on the Humboldt, which is knitted using Anna's marlisle colourwork technique. Oh I love this book!

8 comments:

Ali said...

It's very different and modern, some shawl patterns can look slightly "old ladyish". This is lovely, I know Anna and she is utterly charming and very talented, also just a really good, decent person. I've ordered the book, can't wait till it arrives!

Bellbird said...

I love Anna's book too! Every single pattern is wonderful. I've been eyeing up wool for a Humboldt, maybe we'll cast on around the same time. What colours do you think you'll do?

Jo H. said...

I've been wondering about getting this book, all the patterns look so great! The Humboldt is tempting me too...

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Ali - so modern and a shawl is not my usual bag, but this had to be my first knit from the book as it's so unusual. I hope you love it when it arrives! X

Marilla Walker said...

Hi bella - oh that would be fab and might even give me the kick I need to start and finish at a reasonable pace. I was thinking of totally copying Anna to be honest. She just recently finished a denim blue one so something like that in a cotton/linen yarn (which I've never tried before). How about you? P.S. I knew you'd appreciate this book too ;-)

Marilla Walker said...

Jo - it's definitely a lovely book, although I've become so attached to it I'm not actually capable of giving an unbiased review. Check out ravellry and her blog to help you in your decision. Money is money at the end of the day, so you want to be sure! The humboldt would look great with all your skirts though and you can knit along with bella and me :-P

Caroline said...

So lovely Marilla. I think the colours you have chosen are very pretty indeed.

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Caroline xxx