Pages

Monday, 6 June 2016

Mercury lounge trousers

Are they pyjamas or are they summer trousers? Not sure as I will probably wear these in the garden as well as in the evenings on the sofa, but for now I'm calling these my new lounge trousers.


I made some new bottoms not that long ago with the T&TB Margot pattern here, but apparently (although lovely and soft) corduroy wears at the knees pretty quickly! I shall obviously perform some surgery on them, but I felt like I needed a new pair of bottoms...enter the Mercury pattern!

I made this pair in a lovely indigo and red block print cotton. It feels so soft and comfy I could wear these all day. I made up view D of the trousers minus the hem and waist pleats. Instead I did a double turned 1cm bottom hem and cut a new front waistband the finished (unpleated) width for a fully elasticated waist. The best bit about these are that they have pockets!!! I didn't realise how much I need pockets in everything I wear.


This style is so baggy that they are kind of perfect for lounging around in.



I finished the waist band different to the instructions. I sewed the front and back waistband together at the side seams, encased the elastic (already sewn in a loop) within the waistband and pinned the bottom edge. I then sewed the bottom edge with a 1cm allowance. With the elastic fully encased I then pinned the waistband to the top of the trousers and stitched it on followed by a quick turn on the over locker to finish the raw edges. Because I used a smaller seam allowance there was some room at the top of the waistband so I did a row of stitching about half a centimetre from the top edge being mindful not to catch the elastic in my stitching. It gives a nice tidy finish and seems to keep the elastic place.


There you have it! New summer trousers/PJ bottoms.