Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Printing with tools from around the house (or the supermarket!)

Another print experiment for you. This time the tools I have used are completely made up of stuff you can easily get hold of. I'm not too sure if I like the result yet or not, but I definitely enjoyed making it. The methods I used to make the below layered print are vegetable printing, hand painting, cork stamping and dabbing with a cotton bud.

I had a length of light blue linen that I dyed last week, which measures just over 1 metre and decided this was my canvas. Using my living room floor as a work space I lay out my fleece as a back cloth and the linen on top. Mess is not a concern in this room, as the horrible brown carpet will be gone within the next year, so if you are at all concerned about your floor then don't do this without sufficient protection.

 The first stage of printing was to create a textured background. I did this by using the corn on the cob vegetable printing method. I stabbed a cocktail fork in either end to use as a handle, wiped some ink onto it's entire surface with a sponge and rolled onto the fabric.

This old container seemed like the perfect resting place!

I rolled one rotation of the cob before topping up the ink and did do different directions every now and then.

It's got a bit of a funny snakeskin effect to it, but I am not very happy with the colour I chose, as I can't help feeling like it looks like a flattened corn on the cob!

To break up this first layer of print I decided to paint some ink on with a brush. I started off just painting lines, but thought they needed to go off somewhere, so have ended up with all directions. I also added some wispy lines down the edge of the original stripes to add to the hand painterly effect.

Why stop there when you've got a cork? I cut a cross shape into a cork and stamped a random pattern within the white lines to add further interest.

To be honest, I should have stopped here I think and this is where sampling is crucial, because I would have realised that the next step was a step too far. If only I had sampled! Sometimes pushing an idea can really work for the best, so I decided to go for it!

Using a cotton bud, I dipped directly into the ink and dabbed randomly amongst the crosses in green. Of course, deciding that I could do more still, I added some more dabs in flouro orange.

I really don't know how I feel about this print. I kind of like it, but at the same time I really don't like the yellow cob print. It's a bit too busy, but I have not tried layering prints before and really think that this idea has huge potential. Something to play with and some new techniques under my belt!

I'm going to try making it into something and then I'll know if it's a grower.

This is how many cotton bud I used. Not bad!